Anyone who uses a computer has heard about the importance of Internet security. From protecting your computer itself to protecting your privacy, identity, and your family’s safety, Internet security serves an important purpose. Exercise a little healthy paranoia while you learn the latest in research, news, and opinion when it comes to Internet security from these blogs written by professors, experts in the field, and those with experience they want to share.
From Microsoft to Sunbelt and everywhere in between, these blogs associated with companies offer not only information about their specific products, but also information about the latest Internet security issues.
- The Internet Security Zone Blog. From the ZoneAlarm security software company, this blog discusses computer protection issues and trends as well as promotes products from their company.
- Mischel Internet Security Blog. This blog, courtesy of Mischel Internet Security, which markets an anti-Trojan product, offers news stories, security information, and helpful tips on using their product.
- Frequency X Blog. Learn about security risks, security news, security tools and trends, and more at this blog from IBM Internet Security Systems.
- Sunbelt Blog. Sunbelt Software publishes this blog with posts touching on news and security issues as well as product information and updates.
- Microsoft Security Vulnerability Research & Defense. Get the latest information from Microsoft pertaining to "vulnerabilities, mitigations and workarounds, active attacks, and other related guidance."
- The Security Development Lifecycle. A Microsoft blog, the posts here include guest writers and staff writers discussing the various issues surrounding Microsoft Security Development Lifecycle.
- Burton Group Identity Blog. Burton Group provides IT research and advisory to its clients and provides some of that information, specifically that pertaining to identity and privacy information, on its corporate blog.
- The Secure Software Zone. Read about secure code, open source security, and more in this blog from Fortify Software.
- Spire Security Viewpoint. Get the latest on computer security issues including news bytes as well as information about computer security companies and computer security vulnerabilities.
- Deep Think Diving. Written by a managing partner of Identasphere, this blog contains posts on data privacy, identity management, and more.
University and Research Blogs
Written by researchers and professors, these blogs offer a much more cerebral approach to Internet security.
- Light Blue Touchpaper. From the researchers at University of Cambridge Computer Laboratory, this blog includes essays on topics in computer security with a focus on the most recent developments.
- Conspicuous Chatter. Written by George Danezis and guest bloggers, find research and opinions on the latest topics from the fields of anonymous and covert communication, traffic analysis, and censorship resistance.
- Matt Blaze’s Exhaustive Search. This professor from University of Pennsylvania posts about Internet security, research in the field, and his current work.
- Financial Cryptography. Discussing issues surrounding security, software engineering, economic impacts, and more, this blog is not for the feint-of-heart with plenty of technical information about the topics.
- Freedom to Tinker. Examining the "intersection of digital technologies and public life," this blog published by Princeton’s Center for Information Technology Policy includes articles on Internet security, intellectual property, and many other technology-based topics.
- SMBlog–Steve Bellovin’s Blog. This professor from Columbia University specializes in Internet Security with an emphasis on privacy and related issues and blogs about these issues in research and in the news.
- Avi Rubin’s Blog. With a heavy interest in electronic voting security, this professor from Johns Hopkins University also blogs on other computer and Internet security issues.
- Random Spaf Items. Professor Gene Spafford at Purdue writes about Internet security, cybercrime, and public policy on these issues in this blog.
- CERIAS. The Center for Education and Research in Information Assurance and Security is one of the leaders in research and education on information security. This blog, written by its members, focuses on network security, risk management, cryptology, privacy, and many other areas.
- Cryptosmith. Professor Rick Smith writes this blog which focuses largely on information security issues and particularly as they relate to the defense community.
Blogs Written by the Experts
Learn about Internet security from those who know best. These experts in the field share their knowledge, experience, and opinions via these blogs.
- 1 Raindrop. Written by security software expert, Gunnar Peterson, this blog offers information and news on computer security and security software.
- TaoSecurity. This blog, written by Director of Incident Response at GE Richard Bejtlich, offers security product reviews as well as information on network security monitoring and network response.
- Stiennon on Security. A part of Network World, this blog by this well-known security analyst discusses hacking, cybercrime, and other computer security issues.
- The Identity Corner. Written by Dutch IT specialist Stefan Brands, this blog covers news and updates on Internet security and privacy issues.
- SecurityBuddha.com. Mark Curphey, founder of the Open Web Application Security Project, writes this blog that focuses on information security.
- Perilocity. John Quarterman blogs about his area of expertise–risk management–including posts on spammers, phishing, and banding together for the greater good.
- Rational Survivability. Read about computer security peppered with plenty of opinion from Christofer Hoff, who comes to the subject with years of experience.
- BlogInfoSec.com. This collaborative blog, a part of Information Security Magazine, features articles written by experts in the field of Internet security.
- IT Compliance. Rebecca Herold writes this blog that touches on Internet and computer security with timely topics on a variety of subjects within the field.
- Jeremiah Grossman. Founder of WhiteHat Security, Jeremiah posts on a wide variety of Internet security topics on this personal blog.
Protect Your Computer
From computer security tips to security fixes to stopping malware, these blogs offer plenty of information to help you protect your computer from harm.
- Tony’s Network Security Blog. From About.com, this blog provides book and product reviews as well as information about computer and network security.
- Donna’s SecurityFlash. With equal parts news aggregator and computer security tips, this blog offers plenty of information to keep your computer secure.
- Internet Security Blog. Published by Hacker Scan, this blog focuses on the same issues as this organization–identity theft, network security, and security software.
- Montreal blog on Internet Security Software. This security do-it-yourselfer posts helpful information on security issues and security safeguards as well as information about security software.
- Internet Security for Your Macintosh: A Blog for the Rest of Us. This blog is an accompaniment to the book Internet Security for Your Macintosh: A Guide for the Rest of Us and serves as a real-time update for the book. Sign up for the RSS feed so you can get updates as soon as they arrive.
- Security Fix. Written by Brian Krebs at the Washington Post, this blog focuses on Internet security issues, tools, software, and more to help you secure your computer.
- afongen. This software developer often blogs on software security and identity management, but you will also find other information ranging from conference information to a praying mantis.
- StopBadware.org Blog. This organization is dedicated to Internet security through eliminating bad software that makes users vulnerable. Posts include information about badware as well as other valuable security information.
- Pushing String. This blog covers many topics including Internet security and identity issues as well as random posts on activities that include crafting with string.
- Layer 8. Written by an IT security manager, this blog includes posts on several security issues, especially those that pertain to corporate security.
Protect Your Self and Family
Identity theft, privacy issues, and vulnerability to predators are very real issues for computer users. Follow the advice and suggestions from these blogs to protect yourself and your family.
- Schneier on Security. This "security guru" and renowned author blogs about security issues as they pertain to computer security and the reaching effects that has on personal security both individually and as a nation.
- Emergent Chaos. This group blog focuses on privacy, security, liberty, and economics and includes contributors that are technology and security experts.
- The-New-Internet-Security-Cyberhood-Watch-Blog. This blog, while technically a company-sponsored blog, also focuses on protecting your self and your family. With tips and information on protection from identity theft, child predators, and more as well as information about the product, this blog can help you keep yourself and your loved ones safe.
- Security Retentive. This information security engineer blogs about Internet security and privacy issues.
- Anton Chuvakin Blog. Read about information security from both the corporate standpoint and that of a consumer in this blog with a heavy focus on security logging.
- The Security Practice. This collaborative blog by employees of PayPal write about Information risk management, particularly as it pertains to the work they do at PayPal, but specifically as it affects society as a whole. The blog is not an official part of PayPal and reflects only the opinions of the writers.
- Ceci n’est pas un Bob. Learn about issues surrounding security, privacy, identity, and risk at this blog written by an employee at Burton Group, but not representing the views of the company here. Despite the blog title, this is written in English.
- Identerati. Another blog from an employee of Burton Group, this focuses on identity management and security with a perspective from both business and the individual.
- RiskAnalys.is. Read blogs about risk analysis including interviews with experts, examinations of reports, and reports of topics found on other blogs.
- Another Set of Teeth. This blog covers privacy and ethics when it comes to computer and Internet security. The entertaining posts are serious, though.
If you enjoyed this article, please bookmark it at del.icio.us »